You need a tool that can be used for multiple tasks but you don’t know what to buy? If you want to save space, money and own a tool with multiple functions and accessories, then you probably need an oscillating tool.
Oscillating tools were developed a long time ago in Germany and they have been highly appreciated by handymen who work with all kinds of materials. Also known as multi-tools, they can be used for a variety of maintenance, repair or remodeling activities.
Oscillating tools are useful whenever one needs to sand, cut, grind, plunge-cut, scrape, remove grout and more. The great thing about this tool is that it can be used easily thanks to its moderate size and multiple blades and pads.
Additionally, oscillating tools can be used by both professionals and amateurs.
What are the main features of an oscillating tool?
Before moving on to the tips, it is important to highlight some of the main features of any oscillating tool. First of all, everyone should know that there are corded and cordless oscillating tools available.
Despite the comfort and flexibility cordless tools offer, they are generally less powerful than corded devices.
All oscillating tools have a simple, sliding switch that turns the tool on and off. As for the motor, it differs depending on the model, which means that not all oscillating tools have the same power.
The transmission, also known as gearbox, is an important factor when looking to buy the best oscillating tool, as it dictates the speed range of the tool. Also, the speed control dial is present in all the devices that are available on today’s market.
Oscillating tools also feature a blade clamp that secures the head in place, a casing that protects the internal parts and a handle. Some modern devices also feature a dust extraction port or a vacuum cleaner that allows the user to work on a clean surface.
Consider these tips the next time you will use an oscillating tool
Oscillating tools can be used by nearly everyone, for multiple activities. You need to cut, remove grout, sand or grip? Then this is the perfect tool for professional and home use.
Here’s what you can do using an oscillating tool:
- Sawing – if you are looking to make impeccable cuts through sensitive or thin materials, saw blades can help you obtain perfect results. You can cut though plastics, plasterboards, fiberglass, aluminum, copper, putty and more. Depending on the job, you can choose to use high speed steel blades, high carbon steel blades, bi-metal etc.
- Scraping – next time you need to scrape the paint, stickers, adhesives, carpets or silicone from any material, don’t bother hiring a contractor. An oscillating tool can help you do the job yourself. Keep in mind that a bit of petroleum jelly will help you scrape better and faster, as adhesive will not stick to the blade.
- Sanding – sanding and polishing are easy tasks when using a multi tool. Using the correct accessories, you can sand wood, metal and a lot more.
Bear in mind a few tips:
- Side-to-side motions will help you get better results
- Only make plunge cuts in soft materials
- Don’t use the same sanding pad for all surfaces
- Make sure to put uniform pressure on the entire sanding surface
- Select the highest oscillation rates for scraping
- Check the surface for metal pieces like nails or screws. Unless the blade you chose is able to cut through them, they represent annoying obstacles.